BYZANTINE CRACKLE

This vase and all the examples show the crackle effect I'll describe below.





                  Because I 'discovered' this effect I figured I could call it anything I wanted! 

It came about when I had a post-fired load of White Crackle that didn't ...crackle. Dang! They survived the post-firing with no cracks, so I slathered Blue Velvet over them figuring I had nothing to lose. To my surprise the Blue Velvet was absorbed into the invisible crackles that didn't show with smoke/carbon. Then with a soft fan brush I very,very gently swept over the piece only to see the crackles become even more visible. With too much enthusiasm I swept some of the design away and tried again. 

So thereafter I applied White Crackle to pieces and fired to 1750F and let cool in the kiln then applied Blue Velvet as I described.

Then when completely dry I fired them again to 1800F. and post-fired .

This technique got a lot of mileage over the years and I hope you enjoy it!

You may know that the word Raku is the family name of the Japanese artisans who make this work in Kyoto and are into their 14th generation. Purists only call the family's work Raku and all else is Raku-like. However Western Raku methods are inventions the Eastern tradition never uses.



 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NAKED RAKU with and without GLAZES

INTEGRATING DESIGNS

THE BUTTERFLY EFFECT